This time last year, I was in my final semester of my final year at UCT. The hours were long, the work got tough, weekends were non-existant, and my social-life was limited to whoever I saw in lectures or bumped into in the library. Despite it all, it was fun. But I’m seriously surprised at how we all make it past University.
Well, lets just think about what exactly I’d be doing if it was around this time a year ago…
- Sitting in the freezing cold dungeon, that is the Mendi lab.
- Stressing over some assignment or other.
- Watching awful foreign films for my film course, mostly German, but also including Japanese, Korean and Mexican.
- I’d have Fridays off, and possibly Thursdays too.
- Sundays would not be counted as “weekend” and public holidays would be “exciting” only because you can get extra work done.
- I was probably stressing about he engagement party, let alone all the wedding stress that was still to come! (Thankfully, we pulled both of those events off, and rather well.)
- I’d be doing plenty more walking than I do these days. Lots more exercise walking across campus than sitting at my desk at work.
- I’d be gymming more, because I had the time.
- No matter what time I ended lectures, I’d always be on campus in the library/in the Mendi lab working, sometimes til as late at 7pm (makes ending work at 5pm a breeze.)
- I was probably counting down to graduation 🙂